Layton, Utah: June 2nd
On Thursday, June 2nd, Legacy Junior High School in Layton, Utah, transformed its auditorium into a medium for the public to discuss redistricting with committee members and staff.
The minutes for this meeting can be found here.
Listen to the full audio:
Members of the staff made a presentation introducing redistricting, and why it is done. This information can be found below, under “handouts”.
Following that, John Cannon, managing policy analyst, gave an early demo of the “Draw your Map” software, which is now being configured and will be up and running by Wednesday, June 8th.
Rep. Roger Barrus (R- Centerville) and Rep. Gage Froerer (R- Huntsville) presented their “Top of Utah” map, including Weber, Davis, Box Elder, and Cache counties.
Rep. Ken Sumsion (R- American Fork) also presented a plan. The plan is a Congressional plan for the state. It’s entitled, “Congress: Rep. Sumsion “Plan B”.
Elected officials, including Mayors Steve Curtis (R- Layton) and Jamie Nagle (R- Syracuse), and members of the public made suggestions and comment to the Committee.
- Introduction to Redistricting
- District Population Maps_2001 Congress Four Member
- District Population Maps_2006 Congress Four Member
- District Population Maps_House
- District Population Maps_Senate
- District Population Maps_StateSchool
- District Population Tables
- “Top of Utah”
KML (Google Map)
Lee Davidson: Panel leader unveils Salt Lake County-splitting plan
Tom Busselberg (pre-meeting): Legislative re-districting meeting set for June 2
- @DavisDems: #UTredistricting rose park: like having same rep as bountiful? Looks like more of you will have that privilege
- @BenMcAdams: Layton redistricting roll call: 23 legislators, 5 staff, 3 spouses of legislators, 2 media, 26 members of the public. #utpol #utleg
- @BenMcAdams: Rep. Barrus, R-Davis County proposes map that eliminates #utleg house seat in Weber County and creates a new seat in Davis County. #utpol
- @spnitz86: Good crowd here in Layton. #UTredistricting http://twitpic.com/563lfq #utpol #utleg
- @utahsenate: RT @spnitz86: Many Davis Co. elected officials, Mayors of Layton, Syracuse, want to “keep Davis whole”. #UTredistricting
- @BenMcAdams: Goal for redistricting Utah’s 4 congressional seat is deviation of 1 person. Please, Utah. No more babies for the next few months. #utpol
- @BenMcAdams: To clarify, many of the #utleg at the redist mtg last night were from the area and not actually members on the cmte. #UTredistricting #utpol
- @BenMcAdams: The extensive statewide public engagement effort for #UTredistricting is worth every effort. We got great input last night. #utpol